Nashville Attorney Lisa Ewing

What can I do if the other parent isn’t following the parenting plan?


Helping Tennessee Parents With Court Orders

It is not uncommon for a parent to violate the terms of a parenting plan. This can create a confusing situation for the other parent and the children. If you are concerned about your child’s other parent failing to comply with the parenting plan, you can take action.The Ewing Law Office LLC provides representation in contempt cases. We can help you file a petition for contempt against the noncompliant party and represent you throughout the process. We also represent parents who are charged with contempt. To schedule a no obligation initial consultation with a Nashville attorney for enforcing parenting orders, please call (615) 244-1582.

Filing and Contesting Contempt Charges

Failure to comply with a court order, such as a parenting order, is grounds for the order to be changed. Noncompliant parents can be sentenced to 10 days in jail for each violation of the order, or they can be put in jail until they comply with the order. The court will typically award attorneys’ fees to the noncompliant parent.

Some common violations of parenting plans include:

  • Not following the custody and visitation terms
  • Failure to pay child support
  • Failure to maintain health insurance for the child

If you are served with a petition for contempt, it is important to know that you have rights. You can hire an attorney to represent you. These are complex issues that are best resolved by a lawyer who understands civil versus criminal contempt issues. Attorney Lisa Millican Ewing will review your case and discuss these issues with you.

The court must find willful/intentional failure to comply with the order. If you are unable to comply for a valid reason, you have a defense against the charge. An experienced attorney will use that to dismiss the petition.

Contact a Franklin Visitation Orders Attorney

Please call our office at (615) 244-1582 or contact us online to schedule a no obligation initial consultation.

Work With a Lawyer Who Understands Business Ownership

In high-asset divorces, an inventory of all marital assets and debts may involve the discovery of hidden assets. When necessary, we work with forensic accountants to find hidden assets. We must also complete a valuation of all personal and real property as well as financial assets. The financial assets of business owners and professionals may include sophisticated holdings such as:

  • Privately and publicly held companies
  • Professional practices
  • Stock options and portfolios
  • Deferred compensation plans
  • Retirement plans, IRAs and 401(k)s
  • Family partnerships and trusts

After your marital business interests are valued, we will pursue a property settlement agreement that is in your best interests. We will fight for you at trial to protect your interests if that is necessary.

We can also assist you if you will be paying or receiving spousal support (alimony). For couples with a high net worth, it is important to consider the tax considerations of alimony. We can help you determine how best to structure spousal support if the court grants it.

If you have children, we will help you write parenting plans and work out a custody and visitation schedule that is in the best interests of your children. When calculating child support for a high-income family, we will help you determine the reasonable needs of the children and primary custodial parent.

Contact a Middle Tennessee High Net Worth Divorce Attorney

To schedule a no obligation initial consultation, please call (615) 244-1582.