Nashville Attorney Lisa Ewing

Will I lose my retirement savings if I get divorced?


Nashville Divorce Attorney Who Can Protect Your Interests
When there are significant marital assets invested in stocks, pensions and retirements accounts, dividing them during a divorce requires representation from a lawyer who has financial and accounting knowledge. With her background in accounting, attorney Lisa Millican Ewing can determine how to divide these complex assets while considering the future tax implications.

If you have questions about how to divide pension and retirement savings during a divorce, contact Ewing Law Office LLC. We have the divorce and financial experience you need to protect your interests. When necessary, we will work with financial experts; however, attorney Ewing has the financial knowledge to handle many issues in-house. Please call our Nashville office at (615) 244-1582 or contact us online to schedule a no obligation initial consultation.

How Much Can You Keep?

When a couple divorces, the marital property division will include assets invested in:

  • Pensions
  • IRAs
  • 401(k) accounts
  • Investments, stocks or bonds

Contributions to retirement accounts that are made during the marriage, as well as any increase in value during the marriage, are considered marital property. If there were contributions and increases in value prior to the marriage, they are separate property. Typically, the portions of retirement accounts that are marital property are divided equally.

Tennessee divorce law requires equitable distribution of marital assets. This means that the court will attempt a distribution that it considers fair to both parties. When retirement accounts are involved, the court may choose a distribution that allows both people to maintain sufficient resources for retirement. We will work to protect your rights to these assets, keeping the tax consequences in mind.

Contact a Franklin Marital Assets and IRA Attorney

To schedule a no obligation initial consultation, please call (615) 244-1582.