Nashville Attorney Lisa Ewing

What are my rights as an unmarried parent?


We Can Guide You Through the Legal Process
The Ewing Law Office LLC provides representation to fathers and mothers who are not married. We understand the challenges that unmarried parents face. You can rely on us to listen carefully to you before we suggest a way to move forward. To schedule a no obligation initial consultation to discuss unmarried parents, child custody and child support, please call (615) 244-1582.

Take the First Step Today

Unmarried fathers must get a court order to recognize them as a father before they can apply for rights to custody and visitation. The court cannot base custody decisions solely on gender by automatically choosing mothers over fathers. Instead, judges must consider what is in the best interests of the children. Generally, the preference is for joint custody so both parents can participate in the children’s lives.

Child support is another critical matter that unmarried fathers must address. It is best to establish child support as soon as possible so the court will not consider their payments past-due. If this occurs, their parental rights could be affected.

Our law firm has handled numerous paternity suits, fathers’ rights cases and related matters injuvenile court. Attorney Lisa Millican Ewing has the experience to protect your rights and your relationship with your children.

Contact a Murfreesboro Visitation Rights Attorney

Please call our Nashville office at (615) 244-1582 or contact us online to schedule a no obligation initial consultation with an experienced Tennessee family law lawyer.