Nashville Attorney Lisa Ewing

How can I get more time with my child?


Nashville-Area Family Lawyer Helping You Modify Custody and Support Orders
Support and custody agreements are designed to meet your needs and those of your children based on current economic and time resources. If your situation has changed substantially, you may be in a position to seek a modification of your existing child custody, visitation, or support order.

At the Ewing Law Office LLC, we are experienced in helping parents change their child custody, visitation, or support arrangements when their needs change. Attorney Lisa Millican Ewing works with parents who have been laid off or whose hours or pay has been slashed. She works with military parents who move frequently because of reassignments. She works with parents who need to move to another state, or another part of the state, because of job or family obligations.

If you need to ask for a change to your child support order or parenting plan, we can help. Contact us today to discuss your legal options. We represent clients in Davidson, Williamson, Rutherford, Sumner, and Wilson counties and throughout Middle Tennessee.

Helping Parents Modify Court Orders for Visitation and Support

To change your parenting plan (child custody and visitation order), we will need to demonstrate that a material change has occurred that was not foreseeable at the time of the divorce. We will also need to show that the modification you are requesting will improve your children’s well-being. For example:

  • If your former spouse is abusing drugs or alcohol, we will demonstrate that your child’s best interest would be served by modifying the child custody arrangements.
  • Domestic violence can also require a change to your visitation or custody orders.
  • The relocation of one parent could make it necessary to change your parenting time (visitation) schedule — or change primary custody, if keeping the child in the same school district would be in his or her best interest.
  • When a military parent is deployed, a modification to the parenting plan could be requested which would allow him or her to assign visitation to a relative.

Attorney Ewing’s background in accounting helps her effectively represent parents who are looking to change their child support or alimony orders based on specific factors, such as a loss of income.

Generally, we would need to show that there has been a 15 percent increase or decrease in income to be awarded a child support modification.

Each case is decided on its own facts, but judges have enormous discretion. Whether your former spouse’s income has skyrocketed, you wish to relocate, or you want to see your children more often, we are prepared to develop a convincing legal argument based on the personal and financial facts of your case.

Contact Ewing Law Office

Contact us online or call us at (615) 244-1582 to schedule a no obligation initial consultation. We offer same-day, evening, and weekend appointments at our office, which is conveniently located one block from the Davidson County historic courthouse. We charge reasonable rates and accept credit cards for our services.